Serato Audio Research was founded in 1998 by Stephen West and AJ Bertenshaw in Auckland, New Zealand.
In 1999, they commanded the attention of the world stage with the release of the high quality time-stretching and pitch-shifting AudioSuite software plug-in for the Pro Tools platform called Pitch ’n Time. The plug-in was highly successful and quickly became an industry standard. It remains the preferred tool in screen and production studios around the world.
Serato continued to impress with the release of the popular vinyl emulation software, Scratch LIVE in 2004. The system allows DJs to mix and scratch files from their computer using regular turntables or CDJs and was quickly adopted by some of the top artists in the world. The software is recognized as a leader in the field of Digital DJing and continues to be developed successfully.
In 2007 Serato premiered their video scratch technology which allows Scratch LIVE DJ's to mix video with an incredible effects and transitions. This was released as a plug-in called Video-SL at NAMM show in January 2008.
Also in 2008, after three years of planning and development, Serato announced ITCH, an integrated software and hardware solution for digital music selectors and DJs. Serato is working closely with select hardware partners to offer a level of integration, ease of use, and reliability never before seen in the digital DJ realm.
Serato software is renowned for its unparalleled sonic quality and intuitive user interfaces.
What is Scratch Live?
Scratch Live is a DJ solution that comprises of the Serato Scratch Live software, Serato Control and hardware from Rane.
Serato Scratch Live lightened the load for the professional traveling DJ. Heavy crates of records can be exchanged into a huge library of music that can be easily transported on a computer hard drive.
It is the only digital DJ system that stays true to the art of DJing with no auto sync or effects by design.
The DJ is in control of the mix at all times, not the computer.
Scratch Live Software
Scratch Live software has an array of unique tools and performance features:
- Beat Extraction
- Real Time Tempo Metering
- Unique color waveforms for easy identification of sound.
- Multiple Cue and Loop Points per track
- Record Directly from a Microphone
- Record and Archive your precious Music Collection
- Fast Access to your Music Library and iTunes™ library integration
- Exclusive Access to Fresh Promotional Music with Whitelabel.net
- No Charge Upgrades that constantly add new features and improvements
Serato Scratch Live is exclusively licensed to Rane Corporation. ?You can use it with the following 4 Rane DJ products:
You can scratch and mix files from your computer hard drive using Serato Vinyl, CD or Approved USB Controllers.
Serato Control Vinyl and Control CD (included)
The Scratch Live Control Vinyl and Control CDs each contain the Noise Map Control Tone, a unique control signal which allows Scratch Live to track the motion of the record, simulating the same movement with digital audio. With Serato's proprietary control, the result is a feel and sound indistinguishable from playing vinyl. As a producer and DJ, the track you finished today can be played on a real turntable tonight. You can switch from Control Vinyl to traditional vinyl records as well if you wish.
Serato Approved USB Controller (optional)
Serato has certified a select range of new generation controllers with USB connectivity to Scratch Live. This means that Scratch Live can now send track information from the software to the supported hardware on-board displays.
You can also use the platters, buttons and sliders instantly, as supported hardware has pre-mapped controls for a no fuss setup.
These models are Serato Approved USB Controllers (PDF Quickstart Guide)
What is ITCH?
itch (ich) noun. a persistent, uncontrollable desire.
Serato ITCH is an integrated software and hardware system, designed to give music selectors and DJs new kinds of control. Serato and ITCH partners have made award winning DJ systems that operate without CD players or turntables.
Serato ITCH software lets you DJ music from your computer using purpose built iTCH hardware.
Serato ITCH software is perfectly simple to operate and install. Connect your headphones and a single USB cable to your computer. The ITCH DJ hardware has audio outputs so you can easily connect to it your sound system when you want to play to the crowds.
Vestax and Numark have delivered two different design approaches for ITCH hardware
The Vestax VCI-300 is a sleek portable controller, with an option to be USB powered from the computer. Its slim design makes it a great traveling companion.
The Numark NS7 is an elegant desktop controller with responsive motorized control platters that feature 7" vinyl for a more traditional feel.
Both units deliver a pristine audio via output connections built into the controller. You can use the ITCH hardware as a sound-card for other applications, so you can enjoy high quality sound from your computer all the time.
- High performance portable music system that allows internal mixing and platter style playback control.
- Integrated "one to one" hardware to software mapping for instant control and minimum setup time.
- Interoperable with Scratch LIve crates, loops and cue points, and support for iTunes™.
- Audio processing and internal mixing via Serato ITCH software, Channel fading, EQ, cross fading and track trim are processed in software with audio and headphone monitoring on the ITCH hardware.
- Clean and simple software user interface with emphasis on hardware controller to display information.
- Auto Tempo Matching and Beat Sync.
- Optimal Gain and BPM Calculation.
- Serato's unique color waveforms for easy identification of sound.
- Set and store Cue-points.
- Manual and Auto Loop activation.
- Music Library management tools for backup and restore.
- Input and Mix recording capability.
- AIFF, WAV, MP3 and AAC audio file support